October 23, 2021, 03:08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is prog a "man thing" ??  (Read 24671 times)
kocas
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« on: April 22, 2007, 07:22:31 AM »

arent there much progressive music loving ladies ? m/f ratio is 10.3 !

Is prog a "man thing" ??
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:17:31 PM by nahavanda » Logged

BwP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:59:58 PM »

hehe  My fiancée loves prog  Cool
mina
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:23:12 AM »

on the average, it would seem so. ):

jfcksr
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:13:04 PM »

I dont know
I dont know anybody loving prog

maybe I dont want to know...
maybe afraid about it
I think there are more ladies loving prog then man
maybe woman dont like collecting music as much... hunting it down... getting a bigger collection, more quantity, more quality
musiclover and numbers are one
I think you cant love progressive, because its a state of beeing, not of music
, loving it has to do with the person, not the music..
not with the person, with the soul (of the music)

I hope its a bit confusing
greetings Wink
kczmrk
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 02:16:24 PM »

I do not know a man who is loving prog, a women also, it's a little sad to be the only one in my enviroment who listens mostly prog and cannot talk about it with somebody.

Thus I think that this music is more "manly" music than other genres, it is driven by harsh emotions for me.
ckrit
fRoGgeR

I like obscure crap

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »

I know exactly what you mean, kczmrk. It's a bit lonesome having to enjoy it by yourself all the time.
daysmel
fRoGgeR

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 01:45:39 PM »

it's enjoyed more by men because it's been scientifically proven we have the larger brains and thus are better qualified to listen to complicated music.  that's science for you guys
ckrit
fRoGgeR

I like obscure crap

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »

Except that women's brains actually work more effeciently.
daysmel
fRoGgeR

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »

may explain why housework is daunting to me
tornadoe
SuPRa fRoGgeR

Bass Slapping

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:35:58 AM »

I know exactly what you mean, kczmrk. It's a bit lonesome having to enjoy it by yourself all the time.

I second that!!..

that's why I'm into this forum,

anyways, I consider that prog is "Manly" because, for the average woman, Prog seems to be boring. A bunch of friends of mine cannot stop complaining to me that what I listen is really advanced musically and they don't really pay attention to complex soudns I guess.. anyways, that's strange and I have never met a girl because of prog as common music  Sad

Relax, God is in charge!
oracus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

Of course it is! Women (ok, most of them) enjoy only sounds that urge them to move or even dance; simply structed 'beats' that can easily interpreted to something movable. Of course, there are special creatures called 'PROGirls' who love to experience 'undancable' progressive music (in a 'broad' sense - Progressive Metal is out of the norm) by just listening. I 've never met a Progirl in real life, hence I doubt there are enough evidence in earth, for scientists, to prove their existence. A wise old man once told me that Progirls is just a myth (originated somewhere from Scandinavian countries) invented by Department of Cultural Affairs to prevent youngsters from abandoning their eclectic musical taste to something completely mainstream in order to get near girls.

Ok, thats gone too far  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:30:46 PM by oracus » Logged

"Give me a place to stand, and I shall move the earth"
— Archimedes
tornadoe
SuPRa fRoGgeR

Bass Slapping

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »

I met a progGirl yesterday  Shocked but I couldn't talk to her more than an half an hour... But, at least, they exist!!, she vas so particular!  Roll Eyes

Relax, God is in charge!
mina
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »

haha! oracus, i don't originate from scandinavia but i like both dancing music and zeuhl. however the wise man is half-correct because i am moving to denmark soon. i feel a strange draw to that part of the world! (:

oracus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:49:50 PM »

Mina, your case is too rare to be taken even as an exception :p

Great news:-) Denmark is in my heart! I 've spent there the best 6 months of my lfe, via a European student exchange program (Erasmus). I love those crazy Scandinavians because they speak english so damn well, have stunning girls who seem to appreciate my handsomeness (Grin), ride bicycles all day long, know how to make you feel at home and drink alcohol like there's no tomorrow (ok, that's a minus)! I even met a girl who loved Samla Mammas Manna and a dozen of young boys with free jazz related t-shirts! But I guess you already know everything about this cool place :-)

— Archimedes
mina
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »

where are all the samla lovers in my city? hmmm... well denmark is really a great place. as you say, they truly know how to welcome you and make you feel at home. hygge! (:

ironically(?) my boyfriend is a soundguy and jazz pianist in copenhagen but he doesn't like prog and merely tolerates my hobby. only time will tell. P:

tornadoe
SuPRa fRoGgeR

Bass Slapping

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 01:41:56 PM »

where are you from oracus?...and the student exchangeb program is called "Erasmus"? i found nothing related to it via internet.. Answer to these questions will be taken gratefully.. adieu!

Relax, God is in charge!
Boogie
Global Moderator
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 06:51:25 PM »

Here's info about the erasmus programme.
It's been established by the European Community.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERASMUS_programme

All my neighbours (students obviously) travel the world with Erasmus.
oracus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 08:06:22 PM »

where are you from oracus?...and the student exchangeb program is called "Erasmus"? i found nothing related to it via internet.. Answer to these questions will be taken gratefully.. adieu!

I am from Greece. Yes, it's called Erasmus and it's wonderfuly organized. This one works only for students from European Countries but there are similar programs for people all around the Globe.
Boogie's link has lots of info.

Boogie, have you ever lived outside of Germany? You seem to speak english fluently  (I'm trully struggling to learn german by myself with Michel Thomas' tapes - really interesting language )

— Archimedes
Boogie
Global Moderator
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 05:51:35 PM »

Hi Oracus,
you seem to be a masochist to learn German, and then on your own !
German is very hard to learn because there are very few strict rules - in the language I mean, in the legislation there are some more.
I think it's good to learn some basics abroad, so you understand what people are talking about, but then you have to live and work with native speakers to learn a language properly, at least if you're not a genius. Do you use it for your job, or rather for the krautrock lyrics ?

At school I had to learn Latin and old Greek, I can't say that I enjoyed the studies, I merely passed the tests at school. But then I lived in Italy for 8 years and was glad about it.
Working as a truck driver then and traveling all over Europe and especially England a lot, I got a lot of practice and fun, that's what it takes.
Today I produce magazines and annual reports for companies in both English and German on the computer, among other stuff, so no chance to forget.

Maybe we should communicate in German a bit, there are still enough proggers who understand.

καλη νηχτα
oracus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »

No, I am definately not a masochist, but I always like Germany and german language and never had the chance to learn it. My grandfather learn it by himself and he could speak it better than the average German. I am aware though that he was a genius and I am not  Wink I hope, I can learn it slowly but steadily by myself and one day practice it with native speakers as you suggest. I even think to work in Germany one day.
  I am not so much into krautrock but I wouldnt mind to read effortlessly some kraut lyrics. I think my main motivation is the thought that someday I will be able to talk to germans in their language and even read some Nietzsche or Hesse.
So, you can speak Italian as well, don´t you? I listen to Italian prog for 10 years nonstop; I guess, I should start to learn Italian first  Tongue

I d love to communicate in German but I only know the very basics at the moment Sad

Hehe, you even have greek font in your computer. You should learn Greek, it`s so cool language  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:07:15 PM by oracus » Logged

— Archimedes
tornadoe
SuPRa fRoGgeR

Bass Slapping

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »

Wow... ERAMUS seems to be a really efficient inter-university programm. I wish we could have that at Latin-America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Mundus I'm looking forward to join La universidad Complutense de Madrid!! Good references..

Relax, God is in charge!
hotdog
fRoGgeR

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »

man, as said above forget man/woman, I don't know anyone personally who's into prog. I think it's just a matter of mainstream drowning people in it's stream of crap, I don't think it's a gender thing. Hope not anyway, would be freakin awesome to find a hot chick to listen to some good shit with  Wink
Dairos777azzzz
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 07:04:44 AM »

Hi Kocas,

Music is universal. On my point of view, progressive rock is a bit more of a man-thing but also a woman-thing. The approach of women is different and in function of a mass diffusion of certain kind of music, vitality of it and consequential sexuality. The problem is strictly connected to the mass diffusion of this music and his decline from 1977 until now. Sufficient to see how much women appeared in 70s festivals like Isle of Wight or California Jam for understand.
In general from new progressive of 80s until now the things changed drastically and girls were not the type to wander about 50 different specialized shops in search of a rare Third Quadrant album, an Haze's demotape, the first Ezra Winston or the remastering of Peloma Bokiou. After thirty years of uncultivated and extremely underground progressive scene, the situation is like as you see about girls. Simply, they don't know this genre. I've seen female friends of mine, perfectly perceptive about music of Renaissance, first Earth & Fire, Genesis or ELP, never listened before by them...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: