September 23, 2019, 12:30:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anymore Stravinskian Prog? (Egg, Henry Cow, Uncle Meat)  (Read 2518 times)
SinisterBotanist

« on: August 09, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »

Hey guys, it's my first post! I'm a 17 year old prog listener who aspires to write music for films and video games and such one day. It is indeed surprising that someone my age listens to this sort of stuff, but I don't think it matters. I'm no better at experiencing music than anyone else.

So, the band that really changed the way I make my own music is Egg. One of my favorite pieces is 'Prelude' off of The Civil Surface, which features varying tonalities that remind me of 50's-60's television soundtracks (Twilight Zone). With some searching (Yahoo Answers lol), I found that Stravinsky utilized those weird ethereal tone cluster harmonies. I e-mailed Mont Campbell asking what the inspiration for 'Prelude' was. He replied saying that he had been listening to a lot of Stravinsky in that era, particularly 'Symphonies of Wind Instruments'. Ever since I've been listening to a lot of classical and have wondered if any other prog bands besides Egg utilized Stravinskian... sounding stuff. Searching through prog, I found Henry Cow, Zappa, and few others had some similarities.  Any help find other bands would be appreciated!

Maybe the best answer there is, is that it doesn't yet exist, and I'm the one who needs to write it. Composing is pretty difficult, or at least, putting two musical ideas is. Smiley
mick55
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:56:07 AM »

No band is more Stravinskian than Magma, especially on their albums Ẁurdah Ïtah (1974),
Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh (1973) and Köhntarkösz (1974).

If you don't know Magma, it's time to discover them. Wink

Search the forum for their albums.

cheers

mick

tristan stefan
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »

Wow what a cool question.  The french really have a lot of strav influence, e.g. speed limit 2, eskaton, especially Dun, and note the post of Messengers I put up on main page has a tribute to strav and the danse russe was also done by swedish solar plexus (I think).  You can hear it everywhere in progressive for sure here and there.  I was surprised to hear some library music with it, e.g morricone as featured on growing bin and the Milan Pilar nature album they recently posted as well.
nosebone

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »

Uh..., Robert Fripp.

Strav's Rites Of Spring inspired Lark's Tongue In Aspic.

Also,a lot of Belgian band's like Univers Zero, Present, Pazop, Cos etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: