September 24, 2020, 08:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The SECOND-most progressive rock album  (Read 205 times)
Birddog
fRoGgeR

« on: May 11, 2020, 01:45:27 PM »

I realize that attempting to get discussions going on this forum is as about fruitful as getting a sailor to sail the Sahara.
Yet still I try.

Virtually everyone who knows anything about rock will agree that the FIRST totally prog LP was King Crimson' "Court of Crimson King". Released  Oct 10 '69 .

Wot are contenders for the second-most prog rock lp?

(Note that I stipulate prog ROCK. I am not necessarily  interested in the word "progressive" in the sense of music that advances / is an improvement upon. It has to be in the rock oeuvre , or - since we are dealing with 60's - poprock. We are not talking things like Miles Davis or Dylan going electric.)

wax
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 03:59:04 PM »

I agree with your assesment regarding King Crimson as the founding fathers of Prog,I used to own a copy of the original lp. The band Yes from the UK released there 1st album in July 25,1969. I haven't heard this lp The Mothers Of Invention Uncle Meat released April 21,1969.
Birddog
fRoGgeR

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »

With only 2 months to go until the end of the 1960's, it narrows a second prog lp in the 1960's capable of being second to ITCOTCK over a very short time frame.

The two lps you mention came before Oct 10/69. Hence obviously do not qualify.

I'm thinking:

RARE BIRD - SAME Dec '69

RENAISSANCE -SAME Dec '69

VAN DER GRAFF GENERATOR "Aerosol Grey Machine" December 1969 (US release) hard to believe but there was no UK release. First release was US, then Germany.

MIGHTY BABY - SAME oCT '69 (not sure if you'd call this straight prog though)

wax
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 10:19:19 AM »

My prog knowledge isn't great especially regarding the 60s but I have some prog lp's from the 70s. Birddog would Yes UK Band fall under symphonic prog?
Birddog
fRoGgeR

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 12:09:33 PM »

Yep. Especially"Fragile" and on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: