September 23, 2019, 05:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats your favorite prog artists/bands from 80s?  (Read 6836 times)
nahavanda
Administrator
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« on: January 08, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »

i know most of us have issues for 80s, when i find a band/artist from 80s..usually i dont expect much, and 90/100 of the stuff really boring to listen..

i am curious about, what you guyz listening from 80's prog? what is your favorites/unforgottables? do you have something like "a must have" from 80s in your top10 for progressive rock? oh dont add 70's bands/artists that released some of their good albums in 80s..i want 80s bands/artists only

skaarse
Global Moderator
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »

Asia minor from france is very good!

And I like some Genesis from the 80`s.... but a lot is awfull.....But Home by the sea give me chills....Alot of people disagree with me though...

poor
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:27:15 PM »

The worst years !!!

Undecided  Only:
Robert Wyatt, Kevin Coyne, Roy Harper, Frank Zappa,Tom Waits....
and Marillion (with Fish ! ).

Hope never again 80s (in music) !!!!   Huh?

Forgot Duran Duran and Boney M
( just kidding, just kidding ! )   Grin
Rochacrimson
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:12:17 PM »

1.Frank Zappa
2.Genesis(trio)
3.Marillion

But 80's is a bad era to prog rock with a new wave in top  Undecided
Marcus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »

for me the 80's is a FORBIDDEN DECADE: don't go there!!! Those were the days when I grew up and started listening music and as a young kid, I had to listen just music of the day. Heavy metal and Finnish rock were the best options then, until I found progressive music later. A few (but only few) of the albums written in the 80's may have some interesting ideas, but simply due to the sound techniques of the 80's it is impossible to claim them to be enjoyable music. Of course later I have found some interesting 80's-bands which are good simply because they do their stuff too late, they've forfotten that it's not the 70's anymore.  For example Brazilian Bacamarte is a great example of those. Marillion was the first prog band I actually started to listen and at those days it sounded fantastic and Marillion is probably the only "true" 80's band that I still like.

So, there's a warning: If Jethro Tull used engined drums, what more can you say than, DON'T GO THERE!!!

"King Crimson ceased to exist in Septemper 1974, which was when all English bands in that genre should have ceased to exist."
- Robert Fripp

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."
- Homer Simpson
djed

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:38:43 AM »

i like Aksak Maboul, a project of Fred Frith, they were involved in the RIO movement.

:|
Lefouauflingue
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:10:20 AM »

I'd say Ange, one of my favourite band; I was only 8 when my father took my to a show of the band and now I listen to all his CDs :-)
I really like Marillion and Frank Zappa me too.
noisenik
fRoGgeR

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »

If RIO counts then I'd say Lach'n'Jonsson. Then Nimal, Begnagrad, Debile Menthol, Von Zamla, The Work, french weirdos, etc. I tend to go senile so don't ask me more ...
Yann
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »

If i keep purely 80's prog band :

Bacamarte ("depois do fim" - 83)
Midas ("beyond the clean air" - 88)
Mugen ("sinfonia della luna" - 84)
Osiris ("s/t" - 82)
Pageant ("raden genso" aka "la mosaïque..." - 86)
Rebekka ("phoenix" - 82)
Wurtemberg ("rock fantasia opus 9" - 80)

but none is unforgettable for me... and neo-prog from this decade is not my trip  Cool
Yann
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »

about that i will upload soon Rebekka's album (i don't remember having seen it in blogs). this german band is sounding like a nice 70's one with a touch of psych.
thanks to Musea Records for the reissue of this one.
AussieProgFan

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »

Hey, I've been reading over the list of bands, now are a lot of these progressive metal or are they prog rock. I've always been interested about what happened to prog during the eighties. I must say, I'm not too impressed with prog metal from the 80s on. So if anyone has a good starting place it would be appreciated.

Oh and Genesis was never my cup of tea, only their early to mid 70s stuff is what I like. Sorry Phil I hated the direction you took Genesis....

"See You on the Moontower" - Daevid Allen
osurec
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »

Nathan Mahl
Kenso
Canvas

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »

It Bites-Once Around The World-1987    an incredible, 80's prog masterpiece
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: