October 16, 2019, 01:51:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Band Of Rain  (Read 2329 times)
seebaer
fRoGgeR

Founder and inventor of prognotfrog @ Soulseek

« on: January 16, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »

This is a comment from Chris Gill found here:

http://melosprogbazaar.com/index.php?topic=8218.375

Hi
in looking at most of the comments here I have decided to change the way I do things in the hope that at the very least, more people will be drawn to my website, rather than to these illegal download sites of which there are so many.

When you work largely alone in music, you have to wear a lot of hats (as most of you know), right now I am going to stick my Marketing/Sales Manager hat on...

If you are listening to 3 minute pop songs - rap or whatever, in 30 seconds to 2 minutes you pretty much get the idea of what you are going to get from a standard size sample.
(Don't tempt me in to telling you what I think you get  ROFL)

If you were to download 30 seconds of say : Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams, I think we all agree that it does not tell you much about the overall song.

Mucho progressive music is the same.
Hell some of my songs don't get going for 2 minutes .....

I do feel that this is a major stumbling block, it is infuriating when you try to get a handle on some music, and after a throbbing organ (oo err) intro, it then fades out after 30 seconds...am I going to buy it based on that?...no i'm not.

Over the course of the next few days I am going to put all my songs up on the website full length, but un downloadable, ie you can listen to them all the way through, but not download.

This gives the potential buyer (for want of a better word) a chance to tap in to all the music to make sure that they are not just hearing the best bits selected by the artist, but he / she can get the whole picture.

If I can attract these potential listener buyers to the website, where they can sit there for over 3 hours and listen to the whole lot if thats what they want to do...for free, then maybe, just maybe they will not feel the inclination to go looking somewhere else for samples, its just possible they might even buy from the site.

If not, at least people are being made aware of what we do, how we do it, and if I can get my arse in gear, where we will be playing live etc

Pie in the sky maybe?
I'm going to try it anyway, I know that sales won't suddenly shoot up, but got to start somewhere...

So far this month, I have had 1540 visitors to the website, 5470 hits.The 2 things are different as you know.
So I am going to monitor this for 3 months and see what happens.

I don't know what to do anymore than anyone else here, and maybe what I plan to try now will have people jumping up and down, I don't know...I AM A MUSICIAN there was a time that was enough, not anymore.

what I propose is nothing new I know but...what to do?

If we really want to shut the pirates down we should all give our music away, there would be no need for them then.Trouble is of course, the moment you started selling again, they'd be back!

It could be of course that there are some visitors from the planet zob on their way here, and they may have the answer, till then be happy and keep eating!

Chris
www.bandofrain.com

batpulse
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »

Hi
great forum, didn't know you were here till now!
Looking forward to spending many happy hours here...
CG
seebaer
fRoGgeR

Founder and inventor of prognotfrog @ Soulseek

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:22:58 AM »

Welcome,

sure a great place, although sometimes its reduced to a wishplace were people request albums released yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: