September 22, 2019, 04:43:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worst thing about prog!!!  (Read 6354 times)
smackdog
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« on: February 27, 2008, 06:29:15 AM »

Does anyone agree that the worst thing about prog music is that when any band have got the music so f**cking spot on they spoil it with singing.  :'(
They should just let the music flow instead of interupting it with sh*tty sh*t singing.  Angry Angry

From Jethro Tull to Color Humano, to Caravan and Van Der Graff.

Dont get me started with Van Der Graf! I heard a track of theres, bought a DVD, and got into a groove, then the bloke started singin! God Damn It!!! :'(

I think the Floyd maybe the exception! Maybe its just the style of prog that im having issues with. ( Just incase any you guys take offence!!! haha )

Do any you guys agree?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:30:49 AM by smackdog » Logged
stiletti
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:45:11 AM »

if Tull or VGG had only made instrumentals, probably would have heard not more than 1 album
Peter Hammill is such an outstanding vocalist, surely nothing for the masses, at least if they prefer to listen to mainsteaming PF, but most of his music makes only little sence if not to have it in the context of the words they're based on. He's a ''Real Artist'' who tortures his soul,
never could reproduced well enough only with an instrumental version.
But if you like VDGG a little, so why don't turn  The Long Hello?
That's the band without PH and completely without words.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:10:51 AM by stiletti » Logged
haldidntdoit

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »

Interesting, I usually can't get into instrumental music. Vocals, for me at least, are often the part of the music I connect the most with. For example, three of my favorite prog groups (Genesis, Camel, and Alan Parsons Project) all have wonderful vocals.
slskomgidontknow

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »

The worst thing about prog is that nobody knows about it...

Then again maybe that's what makes it good...  Undecided
mina
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »

hum... i actually love the vocals of the bands you listed (except color humano, which i've never heard). in fact, peter hammill is one of my favourite 'singers.' just not your cuppa tea? (:

the worst thing about prog is that their vinyls can just get so damn expensive... with the job i have right now i don't have enough money to buy both alcohol and records. =_=

phleshy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »

The worst thing about prog is that it is a genre, meaning that many bands fit into the prog genre but there is nothing proggressive about their music, and a lot of bands can be incredibly musically progressive and not fit into the genre. Genres suck!
stiletti
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:04:43 AM »

The worst thing about prog is that it is a genre, meaning that many bands fit into the prog genre but there is nothing proggressive about their music, and a lot of bands can be incredibly musically progressive and not fit into the genre. Genres suck!
A good point of view, but it's one of the genre that's created by the industry and the press, because to sell products they could not put into existing clear mesured genres like Jazz, Blues, C &W, R &R, Pop, Klassic a.o.
That reminds me when talked early 80s in Greece with a guy about
New Wave, he told me that his most important Wave bands were
UB40, Dr. Felgood & Talking Heads...(last one I agree)
Same it's with Progressive, that everybody defines this term individualy, mostly leaving out facts what really is New or Progressive
at all
Most progressive in music for me are Gene Krupa, by integrating Drum Solo,
Miles Davis, by leading Jazz to Rock (Fusion)
Bob Dylan, by electrifying Folk & turning The Beatles on Acid,
13th Floor Elevators, by creating the ''Psychedelic Sound'',
The Beatles, by changing from simple Beatband to Sgt. Pepper's,
Brian Wilson, by using never done before sound combinations (Beach Boys were the first Band performing live with a Moog at a Grateful Dead Concert!)
Moody Blues, by first collaborating with a Symphonic Orchestra
Shawn Phillips, by giving George Harrison first sitar teachings
and composing orchestral tunes without the knowledge of sheet-notes,
Cream, by extending the ordinary few minutes-tunes into long improvisations,
David Vorhaus, by creating first electonic music that's more than only
before done soundexperiments or imitaions of natural instruments
Ravi Shankar & Yehudi Menuhin, by connecting East & West
....all before 1970
and then ? Brian Eno, Rother, Roedelius & Moebius, by creating the Ambiant music,
Robert Fripp, by Frippertronics & Soundscapes
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 07:12:44 AM by stiletti » Logged
smackdog
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »

Yip, I think the last post is correct. I like the rawness of Krautrock, i like extended guitar solo's, i like good lyrics (whether good or down right silly). In a nutshell i cant get enough of shit hot musicians.
I kind of verge towards the Heavy Jazzy Bluesy side of prog. I think its so hard to put prog into certain categories for that reason as some good bands do a variety of all styles, its just a case of finding them groups! The Mahuvishnu Orchestra is a great Jazz/Rock fusion band and Inner Flame a great album, especially the country song. I bought a Grateful Dead album on cassette a good 20 years ago, Terrapin Station, and the track Terrapin Station, which is 16mins long, is a must hear.
phleshy

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »

yeah the grateful dead are mostly who I am talking about when i talk of the genre prog. They are almost unanimously seen as not belonging to the genre when they played some of the most innovative progressive music of the last century.
GanjaStar
fRoGgeR

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »

Yes i hate bad vocals that ruin instrumentals. Its almost as bad when songs have a 40 seconds long instrumental sections. It kills me to hear a great riff that ends just to be replaced by the repetetive chorus. Let the instruments sing leave the vocals to geniuses. Wink
pnoom
SuPRa fRoGgeR

Pot head pixies pot head pixies

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »

The worst thing about prog is obviously ELP  Tongue

But seriously, the worst thing about prog is when bands drown in their own excesses, obscuring any good ideas behind a mask of pretension.  When prog is done well, it's fantastic, but for every Close to the Edge, there's ten Tales From Topographic Oceans.

osurec
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 06:51:53 AM »

The worst albums ever are "Sunset Wading" by John Perry and "White Lady" by Badger................
Tom Cat
fRoGgeR

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »

i agree with a few exceptions
omayyad
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

Old Joke....

What's the difference between rock and Prog ?

In rock, the other band members are saving their money to put a hit on the lead guitar player.

In Prog, the other band members are saving to put a hit out on the Keyboard player.

Cheesy Wink Grin Grin Grin Grin Tongue
 ... Omayyad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: