September 23, 2019, 05:03:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This special piece  (Read 3949 times)
skaarse
Global Moderator
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« on: February 12, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »

We are dealing a lot with full albuns here. But surely we can recommend some outstanding peices too?

It dont have too be favorites, if you listen too a peice, and like it a lot..say it here, and say why!

I will start with supper`s ready!
Why?
It is very teathrical, very melodious, has Peter Gabriels grand voice...a lot of variations in mood, instrumentation and scenes. It has it all! My favorite piece in prog.

Yann
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

Certainly : "Starless" (KC). Great music, great lyrics. With some of the best musicians of this period (Fripp, Bruford, Mel Collins...) Sweet in the beginning, strong like a storm in the end, with an hypnotic bridge in the middle. Blending bright and obscure. A pure gem.
Marcus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:39:10 AM »

One of the best starts for a song is in TRAFFIC's 'Hidden Treasure' from 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys' (1971). It starts with ordinary folk melodies with flutes, changes a little bit when bongo drums start to play in the background and suddenly the feel is more closer to caribbean soul than brittish folk. It's amazing. You don't know actually that at what point 'the mood' changes, but the turn is more or less dramatic anyway. I have listened the first 20 seconds of the song for tens, maybe hundreds of times and I start to like it more and more each time.

You can get the album for example from here if you want to see what I mean:

http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=281c543

"King Crimson ceased to exist in Septemper 1974, which was when all English bands in that genre should have ceased to exist."
- Robert Fripp

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."
- Homer Simpson
Marcus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »

As we all know there are a plenty of great songs and it's really hard to raise some above the others, but here's another good one:

FAMILY: Larf and Sing (Fearless - 1971)

The key point in 'Larf and Sing' is the vocals. First it sounds awfull, but at the chorus, where the other instruments remain silent, it changes into strong and beautiful harmonies. The song in itself has great humour, is kinda funny, but at the same time being very melancholic and sad. After the second chorus guitar sound is brilliant - something you could have done only in 70s.

As a whole, 'Fearless' is an album worth listening. I will put it soon to Rock-gategory. Check out.

"King Crimson ceased to exist in Septemper 1974, which was when all English bands in that genre should have ceased to exist."
- Robert Fripp

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."
- Homer Simpson
zebehnn
SuPRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:53:31 AM »

try to find "bloom" by dider malhebre (of gong fame) 1979
the first track from this album is quite the stunner!
Gordon
fRoGgeR

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »

Ill add 'No Quarter' by Led Zeppelin from 'the song remains the same' to the list.
I wasn't mad on the studio version but the live version just blew me away. Absolutely brilliant dynamics, goes from very calm to very intense so seamlessly. Love the organ by JPJ also.
skaarse
Global Moderator
fRogGeR ExCelSuS

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 03:07:02 PM »

gnidrolog... skull

well, I have not listened much too this, but It has taken me by storm.... Just what I am looking for in the prog world....
The song starts beautifully with flute and "nature" feeling....But it is when the vocals start, I am sold....
MAGIC!
It is a soar intensity in this one...

Marcus
ULtRa fRoGgeR

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 05:22:53 AM »

'Strange Dream' from WITCH was a stunning experience when I heard it for the first time. I still like to listen it a lot and I simply don't know why. Current day  hi-tech hi-fi studios staffs should listen this and learn the other, strange side of music:

http://prognotfrog.blogspot.com/2006/11/witch-lazy-bones-zambia-1975.html#comments

- Robert Fripp

- Homer Simpson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: