September 23, 2019, 05:04:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.munju.net

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Give Me That Old Time Prog Rock.  (Read 4056 times)
Eelafree
fRoGgeR

« on: December 15, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »

The golden age of progressive rock ended 25 years ago. As much as some prog enthusiasts may not want to admit it, and despite all that has happened in progressive rock since then, the vast majority of the best progressive rock was recorded in the first half of the ‘70s. That was a long time ago. The short-lived and unlikely nexus of political, social, economic, technological and artistic forces that combined to create an atmosphere in which progressive rock could evolve and reach critical mass has long since evaporated, but progressive rock has never entirely disappeared. In recent years it has actually experienced a resurgence in popularity...

read more here:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8827/essay.html
Gordon
fRoGgeR

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:25:02 AM »

That was a real interesting piece, and sadly it was very true. I only hope that the revival that is now happening blossoms into something more and breaks out of its metal constraints, because the author was correct when he says that prog metal isn't very progressive at all.
I do think that the future is brighter though. As a 15 year old myself, I can see the re-emergence of interest in prog music. I have introduced my friends to bands like yes and most of them like it, one of them even declared fragile his favourite album and before this his favourite bands were  yngwie malmstien and that sort of stuff. The internet is the main reason for this as the author said. If it wasn't for blogs like PnF and 8 days and the generous people who run them, then i would still be listening to coldplay and U2. Undecided
So thank god for the internet. Smiley
Gordon
Zynisch

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:07:58 PM »

Well, well... even when Gordon is right on his appreciations, I think that we are confusing and mixing up different things: is not the same to talk about the CREATION of progressive rock, to talk about the MASSIFICATION of the good prog that once was made.

About this last subject... it's true: as Gordon said, Internet has been the most important tool when we are talking about the "massification" of progressive rock on new generations (and i'm not quite sure about that). But the TOOL, the way in wich progrock has influence on young people is different from the REASON of that phenomenon.

And by the way... I'm 19, and I don't think that in the present, progrock has the same impact or that today it is understood by young people or any fan, in the same way that 70's youth did. We are on completly different -if not totally opposed- political and historical moments... I won't said as a humankind -wich I think it is- but at least in the western world.

If I'm going too deep let me now... but I thinks that the triumph of certain economic model, that the general consensus to wich the most influent powers have arrived about the economic system, has taked us -from the 80's to our days- to the composition of a whole new mind, everything has a whole new meaning. I don't now if some of you have heard something about POSTMODERNITY. We are in a totally different CULTURAL moment, where art is no longer CREATION, it has transformed into PRODUCTION (serial one), where everything is made to be consumed, not to be appreciated in terms beyond the money, the technical utility or the social climbing (in every scale).

Today, because of the connatural character of prog rock, new progressive bands has to be "part of the system", of the production chain, to survive. Is pretty difficult to create new stuff, to let free new sounds, when you have a giant institutional structure (each country has it), and what is worst: when you have people with a whole new mental structure, with a whole new world view that valorates art in terms -that in my opinion, are repugnants-.

I don't know really... but i think that from there -from a economic and cultural perspective- you can explain why now we don't have a KC, or a new Genesis, for example. Tte world has lived a change of paradigm, and seems to me that it is evident that music, specially progressive rock, will have to look for new forms and new niches from which germinate and burst in into the world of the “this is thus” with those refreshing, young, rebel, liberating and necessary “this is as if…”.

I hope I made my point relatively clear. It has been years without writing in english. Tongue

Greetings from souther mountains.
BwP
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:22:02 AM »

Some pretty sad assessments there...  for a retort, I suggest you check out http://jrfg.blogspot.com
Tehan (progandpoo)
fRoGgeR

I can fly!!

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:16:20 AM »

Ah! Sky Moves Sideways is a wonderful blog. However, where are these retorts? I would be very interested to read them! Thanks  Wink

progandpoo.blogspot.com
For Prog, and Other Enjoyable Music

Visit or request albums =)
Gordon
fRoGgeR

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »

The blog itself is a retort, as it showcases many amazing bands from the last few years. Therefore proving that prog is very much alive and well.
Tehan (progandpoo)
fRoGgeR

I can fly!!

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:49:07 PM »

Gotcha  Smiley

progandpoo.blogspot.com
For Prog, and Other Enjoyable Music

Visit or request albums =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: